Summer. Farmers markets. Fruits and vegetables…..
How many times have you bought this stuff, then get busy and, the next thing you know, you’ve got a little of this and a little of that and you need to use it up? No way you’re gonna let it go to waste.
This is where my son and I found ourselves this evening. I brought some strawberries over, he had some blueberries and some cherries. We decided to throw it all together for dessert. Have you ever just thrown something together on a whim and had it turn out better than if you had planned it for days?
That’s what we got. Oh, my. Again, we were feeding a house full of people and, again, it was a winner all around. Even for one of them who is not a fan of fruits. It took longer to clean the cherries than anything else. Other than baking time that is.
You could use any fruit you want or any blend you want. Ours happened to be blueberries, cherries and strawberries. Raspberries and peaches would be awesome. Or blackberries and peaches. Or peaches and peaches….
- Approximately 6 cups of fruit or fruits of your choice
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Approximately ½ cup of sugar. This can be adjusted to taste and depends on the sweetness of the fruit.
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups flour
- Mix fruit, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Over medium heat, stirring frequently, warm the fruit. As ti warms, stir it constantly to keep the cornstarch from lumping. When it thickens, remove from heat and pour into a 9 x 13 cake pan or large casserole.
- Whip the butter with the cup of sugar until light. Add the egg, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sour cream. Mix just until blended, then quickly mix in the flour, just until blended. Spoon over the fruit as evenly as possible.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 ,minutes until top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream.....